In today’s blog post I will share my personal recipe for a natural cleansing oil
If you have met me or read many of my blog posts or beauty articles you know how passionate I am about taking care of the skin. In fact, I spend as much if not more time on my skin care routine each day than I do applying my makeup.
Being a skin girl at heart, one of my favorite pastimes is creating natural skin care products. For close to ten years I have been making and personally using organic facial serums, mud masks and floral hydrosols. In fact, my two most purchased products from my makeup studio are not makeup items but my rosehip facial serum and uplifting rose hydrosol.
Until this week, I have purchased whatever items I used to precleanse my face instead of trying to make my own. However, a few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me about making a precleansing oil so I decided to give it my best shot. After four days of use, I am extremely pleased with my DIY cleansing oil recipe so I thought I would share it with you in today’s blog post.
Before I share my recipe with you, let me offer you a word of caution on deviating from my recipe. Every DIY recipe I have found on the internet consists of basic ingredients from your kitchen such as coconut oil or olive oil. For an oil cleanser to thoroughly cleanse the skin and remove dirt and oil from the pores it MUST contain an emulsifying agent.
In the recipe below I use the emulsifier PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil which is miscible in water and oils. What this means is it allows the two liquids to bind together or form a homogeneous misture. (This is similar to the way Micellar water works, it is made of “micelles” which are tiny oil molecules suspended in water)
As we all know, oil and water don’t mix thus, only surface dirt is removed when using household oils such as coconut or olive oil. Further, unless the DIY cleansing oil contains an emulsifier or surfactant, oil residue is left on the surface of the skin which can lead to clogged pores, milia or worse, deep cystic acne. (read more from Dr. Oz blog here)
Kelly’s Cleansing Oil DIY
- 1.8 oz apricot kernel oil (50%)
- 1.5 oz triglyceride (emollient) (43.5%)
- .1 oz PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emulsifier) (3.0%)
- Licorice Extract (active ingredient) 45 drops (2.0)
- Caprylyl Glycol EHG (humectant) 22 drops (1.0%)
- Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopherol) (antioxidant) 1 capsule
- Essential oils of choice (optional) I used 10 drops of lavender, 6 drops of grapefruit and 2 drops of rosemary)
Add ingredients in order to a clean, disinfected beaker glass. Stir well until ingredients are well mixed. Package in a bottle with a pump device or a dispenser cap.
To learn more about my skin care regimen and specifically, how to precleanse, check out some of my previous articles/blog posts here:
Latest posts by Kelly Kirby (see all)
- How to get rid of bags under the eyes and crows feet - February 5, 2018
- How to apply foundation for a healthy, more youthful complexion - January 18, 2018
- How to discover the huge gift of falling head over heels in love with Jesus - January 11, 2018