Hi guys! I am excited to share a new recipe that I whipped up today, crock pot spaghetti sauce. I am a big fan of crock pot recipes due to the fact that they can be major time savers in the kitchen.
The recipe below is one that I created this afternoon in an attempt to make a healthier version of spaghetti sauce that contained veggies as well as meat. The sauce was super easy to prepare and tasted quite good so I decided I would share it with all of you. Enjoy!
- 1lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 10z box of frozen chopped spinach
- 1 7 oz bag frozen sliced mushrooms
- 2 14 oz cans Hunt’s diced fire roasted tomatoes (I used one can of spicy red pepper and one regular)
- 8 oz of vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ tsp of fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Red wine
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Heat coconut oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Once melted, add onions to pan and saute until slightly translucent then add a dash or two of salt. (Adding the salt once the onions have cooked to this stage makes them a bit sweeter and minimizes nasty onion breath!!:)
- While onions are cooking, open on can of diced tomatoes and liquefy with food processor.
- Add Italian sausage to pan and cook until browned and onions are beginning to crystallize on the pan.
- Add a glug of red wine to deglaze the pan, then dump contents into crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pan except butter. Stir well and set crock pot to high setting and cook for 2.5 hours.
- Add butter and cook for an additional thirty minutes, then serve over your favorite pasta.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Sending peace, love and happiness to all!
Latest posts by Kelly Kirby (see all)
- Thrilled to be on the Fallen Sparrow mission team this fall! - February 23, 2017
- Don’t be afraid to share your testimony - February 13, 2017
- How to be a person that brings light into the lives of others - January 29, 2017