As many of you know, I am going through a painful divorce. Over the last two months I have shared my sadness and disappointment in the demise of the relationship with my husband. In all honesty, I have never felt emotions as deep and painful as I have in my current season of life. In today’s podcast I share how I am finding comfort through the most excruciating pain I have ever known.
As believers, we should never be in despair because our hope is in Jesus Christ . If we feel ourselves headed toward feelings of despair, we need to remind ourselves of who we are – chosen, beloved children of God. valued higher than anything on earth!
Essentially, despair = disbelief, feelings that are driven by fear. An unbelief that God can or will take care of us. The word for despair in the original text of the bible is exaporeō (Pronunciation: eks-ä-po-re’-ō). In bibical usage despair/exaporeō means to be utterly at loss, be utterly destitute of measures or resources, to renounce all hope, be in despair. We can find encouragement when we look to God as our refuge in times of trouble because perfect love casts out all fear.
In this painful time, I am looking to God as my refuge. A quick search in my Bible reveals 93 occurrences of the use of refuge in scripture. Below is a list of some of my favorite scriptures encouraging us to seek refuge in our Heavenly Father.
- Psalm 91:4 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
- Psalm 34:8 8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
- Psalm 18:2 2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
- Psalm 31:19 19 How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you.
- Psalm 62:8 8 Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
- Psalm 119:114 114 You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
- Psalm 57:1 Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
- Nahum 1:7 7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him,
- Psalm 17:7 7 Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.
- Psalm 31:2 2 Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.
- Psalm 37:40 40 The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.
- Psalm 71:3 3 Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.
Sending peace, love & happiness to all!
Latest posts by Kelly Kirby (see all)
- How to apply foundation for a healthy, more youthful complexion - January 18, 2018
- How to discover the huge gift of falling head over heels in love with Jesus - January 11, 2018
- Learn how to look years younger with anti-aging treatments - January 8, 2018