Latest posts by Kelly Kirby Worley (see all)
- Now that I know I am loved, I can love you - February 14, 2020
- Trust in the One who is trustworthy today and every day - February 6, 2020
- How to become a better person through difficult circumstances - January 14, 2020
Using too much foundation can make you look older by settling into fine lines or masking the skin’s natural luminosity. This is especially true for women with more mature or dry skin types. Most often, foundation is over-used in an attempt to hide dark spots, hyperpigmentation or other skin imperfections. Unfortunately, too much foundation actually accentuates skin imperfections and creates a fake, mask-like appearance.
How to choose a foundation formula that doesn’t settle into lines and make you look old
I am a firm believer that makeup is best used to accentuate the natural beauty that each women possesses.
Here are a few basic tips:
- Avoid using powder based foundations unless you are under the age of 25 or have extremely oily skin. Most powder foundations make dry skin look drier and leave a flat, matte and/or chalky appearance on the skin.
- Avoid matte formula foundations for same reasons as above.
- Opt for light-weight formulas with a silicone base which smooth skin imperfections yet create a breathable barrier on the skin. These formulas typically provide medium coverage with a satin finish, making the skin look healthy and radiant.
- Apply foundation first and concealer/corrector second to avoid using too much product. This is especially true when trying to conceal dark circles. The more product that is applied, the more visible fine lines and/or wrinkles become to the eye.
Kelly’s foundation recommendations:
- If you know me personally, your know that I have tried pretty much every foundation on the market, including high end lines with price points well over $100. To date I have yet to find a foundation or complexion product that I like better than those from Mirabella Beauty, a mineral makeup line out of California. My go-to product is Mirabella CC Cream which provides medium to full coverage but also helps to neutralize discoloration and dark under eye circles. On days I do not wear a full face of makeup or if I am running to the gym or yoga I prefer to use Skin Tint Crème to Powder foundation, also from Mirabella. The coverage is much like a tinted moisturizer so it helps to even out my skin tone and leaves a less dewy finish since it dries down close to the consistency of a powder. Due to the silicone base, Skin Tint Crème to Powder also minimizes the appearance of fine lines and skin imperfections. All foundations and complextion products in the Mirabella line range in the $40 to $50 price range.
- I also highly recommend all of the foundations from Hourglass Cosmetics, a boutique brand that is also a mineral based line. My favorite from Hourglass is Veil Fluid Foundation, a serum-like formula that is chocked full of anti-aging ingredients. Price point $60
- Trish McEvoy Beauty Balm Instant Solutions with SPF 35 is another great product that provides medium to full coverage and the high SPF makes it great for days when I am playing tennis and want an extra layer of protection against UVA/UVB rays. Price point $85.50
For more detailed information on the different types of foundation see my previous blog post, Which foundation type is best for you
Hope these foundation tips were helpful<3
Sending peace, love & happiness to all!