Latest posts by Kelly Kirby (see all)
- It is finished! Celebrate the victory that is ours in Christ - April 25, 2019
- How to enjoy life living in your Promised Land - March 9, 2019
- Thank You, Jesus for opening the eyes of my heart - March 6, 2019
Thank you for your prayers and support during my first experience with the Daniel Fast. If you are not familiar with the fast, this post will give you a basic idea and my perspective of the Daniel Fast based on my personal experience.
The Daniel Fast
The Daniel Fast is a 21 day fast based on the prophet Daniel’s practice of fasting noted in the Book of Daniel in the Bible. Contrary to common belief, the Daniel Fast is NOT a diet. The Daniel Fast is a partial fast most often begun on the 1st Sunday of the New Year. Hundreds of thousands of Christians and churches all over the world take part in this spiritual discipline of fasting.
Foods not allowed on the Daniel Fast
The Daniel Fast is a partial fast that requires abstaining from all meat and animal products, all dairy products, all sweeteners, all leavened bread, all leavening agents, all refined and processed foods, all deep fried foods, all solid fats and all beverages except water. Also, no artificial ingredients are allowed during the fast so, reading product labels is extremely important.
Foods allowed on the Daniel Fast
Foods that are allowed on the Daniel fast include all fruits, all vegetables, all whole grains, all nuts, and seeds. Meat substitutes like tofu are permitted as long as they are free of any of the above-stated ingredients. I found it challenging to find a meat substitute that did not include caramel coloring. Tofu is not a food I enjoy, however, Tofurky Italian sausages are delicious and meet all of the above-stated food requirements.
Did you know that Biblical fasting is a spiritual discipline encouraged by Jesus, Himself, while He was on earth? It’s true both Moses and Jesus fasted for 40 days! The Bible includes more 70+ references to fasting by heroes of faith including Elijah, Esther, Ezra, Job, David, Peter, and the apostle named, Paul.
Fasting is traditionally practiced by individuals looking for healing or breakthrough in specific areas of their life. A Biblical fast, including the Daniel Fast, is tailored around each person’s relationship with the Lord. Although there are stringent diet restrictions, participants of the Daniel Fast are encouraged NOT to focus on the food.
Planning for easy meals that do not require a lot of prep time is highly recommended. Many first time participants in the Daniel Fast miss out on all the beautiful gems God wants us to experience during this extended time of prayer and fasting. Reason being, they spend the majority of their time focused on what they are going to eat, rather than intimacy and communication with God through His Word. Fasting can be life-changing, but we must be intentional and engage!
The Daniel Fast, my personal retreat with the Lord.
The discipline of fasting involves:
- choosing to step out of our typical days,
- choosing to be quieter,
- choosing to be more focused and intentional in our communication with God, and
- choosing to be open and receptive to God
In other words, turning away from the things of this world and turning toward God. For me, this meant clearing my schedule of as many things as possible so I could fill my time with more of the Lord and His Word. Thus I chose to fast from blogging and all social media except Pinterest which I used as a resource for recipes during the fast.
Rest in Him Daniel Fast 2019
I chose to participate in an online group fast hosted by Susan Gregory, bestselling author, Daniel Fast expert, and founder of Faith Driven Life which I highly recommend. For $21 I received access to a vast library of resources to support my fasting experience. Some of the resources included are:
- 21 Journal Prompts to help you dig deep into the Word and connect with God.
- Susan’s Simple Daniel Fast Meal Plan, so you focus on God rather than food
- Daily Emails with encouragement, tips, and testimonies to build your faith
- Private Facebook Group so you can connect with other like-minded believers to exchange prayer support and encouragement
- Bible Reading Plan to feed your soul for and encourage your rest in the Lord
- Daniel Fast Recipes
- Daniel Fast Daily Devotional
- Your Journey in Faith 21-Day Study
- The Real Faith eBook
Matthew 11:28-30 NLT
 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
In addition to the resources stated above, the $21 registration fee also included a six-part study entitled, In His Rest tailored around the words of Jesus found in Matthew 11:28-30.
In His Rest – Six-Part Study
- The Treasures in Fasting – discover the insights, blessings, lessons, experiences only found in extended prayer and fasting. God has gems of knowledge, direction, and favor for you. Come and receive
- The Promised Rest – learn of the true rest that God promises to you when you put your trust in Him. Learn how to develop your faith so you know that you know that you know that you know!
- Enter His Rest – accept the invitation from Jesus and enter the deep and profound rest only He can provide. Susan will guide you through practical and spiritual lessons so you can experience His peace every day
- Renew Your Child Heart – release all the weight you’re carrying and discover how to lean into and on your Father. He loves you so very much and He wants you to be assured of His love. Susan will guide you on a path from feelings of self-doubt about yourself to confidence in your Father as His precious child.
- Step Into the Kingdom– we are commanded to live in the Spirit rather than by the world’s ways; develop your faith and feast on the meat of the gospel of faith. Learn how to live a kingdom lifestyle now so you can have the good cheer Jesus promises you
- Learn a Better Way to Pray – learn how to pray so you are sure your requests are in God’s will and that you can count on receiving what you have asked for. This one lesson will revolutionalize your prayer life
My greatest desire is to be a vessel of light for Jesus that draws others, especially those I know and love, to come to know and love Him. I chose to do the Daniel Fast so I could submit myself to the Lord in a deeper way and with minimal distractions. Allowing the soil of my heart to become fertile ground for His Word to take root and grow. My first experience with the Daniel Fast could not have been any more incredible! The Lord graciously responded to areas in my life in need of a breakthrough and gave me greater wisdom and understanding about His will for my life. I look forward to sharing more about this life-changing experience with you in future blog posts!
Sending peace, love, and happiness to all!